Friday, August 17, 2012

The Prologue: GRAND CANYON

Today seemed like a really long drive, but I suppose I couldn't accurately say because I was sleeping most of the time... mom drove today. But the greatest thing about today, was that we got to stop by the Grand Canyon :)

Mom changed our travel plans just so we could stop by, and I was so happy that we could. It was breath-taking. Now, that might have been due to the fact that I was 8,000 feet above sea level, but I'm pretty sure that it was this amazing view.





Oh, and did I mention that mom and I got in FOR FREE!? This might just be me, but I thought it was a tad bit ridiculous that the public has to pay to see a natural wonder like that... but I guess it is a park. Anywho, mom flashed the military id and BAM, no fee. We walked through a few lookout points along the South Rim, and may have been the only english speaking people there. I heard people speaking French, German, Chinese, and Spanish. There were a few Australians there as well doing this "Tour of Duty" bike ride. One of the riders gave us a brochure. It's a bike ride from San Diego to New York that ends on September 11, to commemorate and honor all those who died at the World Trade Center in 2001. Participants were both from the US and from Australia. If you want to read mroe about it you can visit their website:

www.tourofdutyride.com

We're stopped in Kingman, AZ for the night, and tomorrow we'll finally be in California. We're driving past seaside and going straight to visit my grandparents in Pittsburg. I'm so excited to see my family. As exciting as ths road trip has been, I'm excited to not have to stay in any more hotels for awhile. Move-in day is Sunday so I'll finally get to meet me roommates as well! So many things are all going to be happening at the same time, and all stress aside, I really can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment